Friday, June 11, 2010

Lenny the Dog

Bill and I are still grieving over the loss of Victor Pants. Its one of those things that with time, it doesn't hurt as badly, but we still love Victor and he will always be such an important part of our lives.
We were not actively looking for a new dog, it has only been four months since he passed away.

My parents were actively looking for a new dog, and when I was at their house the day before Memorial Day, I was perusing petfinder.com, and this picture jumped off the page at me.

Wowzer!  I sent in my application asap and called furiously to the Chicago Canine Rescue.  Long story short, I have never fought so hard for something in my life.  They wanted Lenny to be in a home with another dog, and I told them all about Chainsaw downstairs.  They wanted us to have an 8 foot fence, I told htem Lenny would never be outside alone.  And then we met him.  And it was love at first sight.  We took him for a long walk.  Then we went the next day and walked him again.  Then on Tuesday we had our home visit, and Lenny was dropped off.  Lenny was a little scared of the stairs, and he walked in and peed in front of the dog bed, and on the fridge, and on the plants on the deck.

I was worried that he would be in the house, but that was that!  We have him on a totally organic high protein food - he's underweight and he needs to gain more before he can be neutered.  He's so amazing and transitioning so well.  He jumps in bed and follows Bill around everywhere.  He's so awesome. 



I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried to begin with.  I cried a lot about Victor - would he be mad, would he be sad, would he be happy?  Has enough time passed?  I'm feeling guilty, etc.  So many feelings.  But I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.  We got Lenny.  He is happy with us.  He already loves us, and we are quickly falling in love with him too.  We are a family again.  I still miss Victor, though, and that feeling will never go away.  I just hope that they would be friends.

2 comments:

  1. what a pumpkin! A wonderful addition to your family ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told David that we owe it to the Carmona's and Atticus for falling in love with Great Pyrenees!

    ReplyDelete