Friday, February 10, 2012

Am I really an adult?

Sometimes I feel like that I may not "really" be an adult.  My perception of an adult as a child was many things involving suits, knowing how to go to places, making home improvements, married with kids.

Well, I have one of those things.  We have a higher majority of friend that rent vs friends that own.

Home ownership is terrifying.  So scary.  But in the same way, its always been something I have wanted.  I hate paying rent.  Our landlords pop by whenever, we always have to worry if they come by and the gates are open and the dogs can escape; or worse - dare they just walk in.
Our deck is in total code violation - I guarantee more then 10 people would collapse that thing.

I have an obsessive addiction of looking at houses - online, I probably get emails from at least 4 different companies a day - Truilia, Redfin, etc.  Because I really want to own.  Come April 2012, we will have paid over 40K in rent where we currently are.

But there is the freedom in renting - being able to move to a different hood, not being responsible, etc.  But with the responsibility of 2 dogs  - its not that easy.  Only one is "medium size".

Anyway, on our homeowner ship quest, we found the house in the post previous to this.  Is it perfect?  HELL NO.  Is the yard the size of a shoebox?  HELL YES.  But is there potential?  Can we move in and be comfy until the kitchen makes me crazy (minimum of 2 weeks), but can we?  Yes we can.  I think.

These big decisions in life terrify me.  As they would with normal people.  After renting for 13 years, owning is totally different.  But a lot of people do it.  Its how I look at having children - lots of people do it.  So there has to be a learning curve I have to learn, right?

The dude accepted our offer - 50K less then what he was asking + a 13 month home warranty, meaning if the furnace blows or the roof implodes, we're ok...at least I think?

My biggest fear is leaving my neighborhood.  I was thinking Forest Park because there is so much more bang for your buck, and talk about YARDS!  But then, I think that maybe I'm not ready.  When kids come, it will definitely be my #1.  But for now - lets see?

I have lived in Ukrainian Village for 13 years!  Well, my first place was Goose Island, but I don't count that, really  My living, growing, turning into the person I am, meeting Bill was in UV.  It's a lot.  UV is so freaking pretty, and nice, and safe, and convenient,  and what I'm used to.  Logan Square is all diagonal streets and I'm easily confused.  I can figure it out, right?  Its so much more populated over there it seems, right next to the blue line.... as I ramble on and on.

Here it is on the map! 2711 Julia Ct.  I do kind of love I would be Julie on Julia...not going to lie.
Stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment