Monday, January 18, 2010

Julie Is Cooking Part Deux.

So I signed up for a winter vegetable box.  Not quite a CSA, but a super affordable version of local, non-local and organic produce.  Two fruits (Bill and I don't eat enough fruit) and four veggies (we eat TONS of veggies) each week - pickup on Mondays.  I'm so excited about it because it means I get different things then what I buy at the store each week. And I get to try new recipes, like the one below.  And I love supporting a local business.  Read all about it on the Green Grocer's website. They're so nice and friendly - I'm happy to be doing business with them.

This week I got some radishes, spinach, sweet potatoes, an acorn squash, bananas and pears.  Awesome! 
So, tonight I went out on a ledge and made Sweet Potato and Sausage soup.  I haven't been eating much meat lately, but at the  Logan Square Farmer's Market Bill and I bought organic sausage from happy pigs on a happy farm.  Ironically,  I'm still struggling to eat it.

But, the soup turned out well!  Check out the pics below!
Happy Sausage from a happy, organic pig.  And a happy farmer - really nice guy!


Onions, garlic, red potatoes,  + sweet potatoes - before adding the organic veggie broth.


Finished product, mashed up the potatoes, added lots of paprika + pepper and a bunch of spinach!

1 comment:

  1. way to cook! I will have to try this smoked paprika you speak of...and I'll let you know when I do. And I will forward on the newsletter I help write for work because the granola recipe will be in it (it should be done in the next week or so). happy cooking (and eating!)

    ReplyDelete